LeAnn's Cover: "A Terrible Mistake"

1028_leannShape magazine's editor-in-chief has been forced to apologize to readers for featuring homewrecker LeAnn Rimes on its October cover, acknowledging it was a "terrible mistake" in an email exclusively obtained by TooFab, sent out to some readers.

Some readers were mortified that Rimes -- who has admitted to cheating on ex-husband Dean Sheremet with then-married "CSI" hunk Eddie Cibrian -- was glorified on the fitness magazine's cover with the sympathetic coverline, "LeAnn Rimes: How Working Out Saved Me."

TooFab has obtained the email that the magazine's editor-in-chief, Valerie Latona sent to those who expressed outrage over the cover:

Subject: To my dear Shape readers

You are all in good company (why I'm e-mailing you all together) as you all agree Shape has made a terrible mistake in putting LeAnn Rimes on the cover.

Please know that our putting her on the cover was not meant to put a husband-stealer on a pedestal-but to show (through her story) how we all are human. And this woman in particular found strength in exercise in what she said was her most difficult personal moment.

But it did not come across that way ... And for that I'm terribly sorry.

I hope that we can do better the next time for those of you that will give us another chance.

Humbly,

Valerie

A rep for Shape had no comment.

julie:  1492 days ago

So glad that Shape realized just how many women were offended by that article where Leann Rimes tried to come across as the victim instead of how she was the one who chased after a married man with kids and committed adultery both of them were married at the time

Melissa:  1492 days ago

Give me a break! Apologizing for their cover? People really think awfully highly of themselves I guess. Why is this one woman SO horrible? She cheated on her husband? For heaven's sake, she made a mistake and people got hurt...Leann Rimes is not the worst person on the planet. I, for one, was happy to hear her story and see her on the cover. I am more embarassed that Shape issued an apology. What a bunch of spineless politically corect saps

Dumped Him:  1492 days ago

You knew she was a cheater and a homewrecker just like her then married boyfriend Cibrian. Two peas in a pod. Why didn't that get through to you in the first place before you did the shoot and even worse, decide to put her on the cover of your magazine? Why would you put someone like this on the cover of your magazine? Hate to tell you, she's no role model for anyone. She can work out all she wants. She still is what she is and I would never want to be anything like her or her loser boyfriend.

cae774:  1492 days ago

Homewrecker....my butt! If Eddie was soooo happy at home, he wouldn't be looking elsewhere or have the slightest interest in someone else!!

Liv:  1492 days ago

Perhaps I missed something, how is she any different than Angelina Jolie? Denise Richards? Tori Spelling? Britney Spears? Meg Ryan? It's just too bad for LeAnn she's not as popular as her fellow home-wrecking sisters. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

yO:  1492 days ago

"...found strength in exercise in what she said was her most difficult personal moment." yeppp, i think we all know what type of "exercise" was!!! LOL

nband not off:  1492 days ago

are you serious? they do not need to apologize. i was married, cheated on and put his butt out and divorced. i am not offended by her being on the cover. it is shape and leanne has a GREAT body.
she did not steal eddie. you can not steal a man. some miserable people need a life.
i say bravo to leanne and shape. everyone deserves to be happy.
i can not believe the editor sent that email.

Patricia :  1492 days ago

WOW!! This is nuts! Some people have way too much time on their hands... Crap happens in life, people fall in and out of love, people make mistakes - there are people dying in the world, people starving.....seriously!! Hypocrisy is so right, we have saint Angelina who people give two poops that Brad was married, and these same people want to stone Leann. I will not buy Shape magazine again. You go Leann!!

Tammy:  1492 days ago

Whil I don't like how things went down with the breakup of her marriage, of Eddie Cibrian's marriage & the infidelity and all but it was a GOOD ARTICLE and made me want to work out more (as she IS fit & in shape). I don't think highlighting her healthy fitness habits is the same as condoning judgment errors in her personal life. I would hope the rest of the readership is smart enough to come to the same conclusion.

Shape magazine doesn't owe me an apology and I'll continue to read/subscribe to it!

JJ :  1492 days ago

Cibrian is no angel.

rina:  1492 days ago

so im guessing all those magazines who've had angelina jolie appear on the cover should be apologizing to us also?? come on now!!!!! that is ridiculous .. these ppl dont owe us their private lives and even if they did who are WE to judge what they do? all they owe us is good music/movies/art. nothing else..

Anne-Marie:  1492 days ago

People who are going to cheat are going to cheat no matter what. It doesn't matter who is around to tempt them or who isn't around, but it is funny how the woman always gets the bad name. I see no reason LeAnn should not be on SHAPE magazine and think they were total weenies with their apology. I don't condone adultry and Yes, My husband cheated on me. I got over it and rebuilt my marriage to be stronger.

Al:  1492 days ago

Forgive me, but I seem to have made a terrible mistake. I have been living under the mistaken assumption that this is the year 2010. It appears that this is actually the year 1953 by the way people are carrying on about something most people couldn't care less about. I also apologize for misreading the title of the magazine all these years. I thought it was a fitness magazine called Shape but apparently it's really Mother Theresa Monthly. For that I truly apologize.

Claire:  1492 days ago

I have to say that I don't think it was the cheating situation in its self that made her become disliked and thought of as a bad choice, its her lack of being able to shut up about it and the situation she has put his kids and ex in. He's as big of an ass as she is, but has wisely chosen to keep his mouth shut. Someone sent me a copy of one of her tweets (I have a gossip site)where she now claims her affair was different from others because it was ordained by God. That right there shows you where her mind is...doesn't advertise health IMO.

Lwazi:  1492 days ago

OMG I cant b'live they wud even isseue out an apology,Yes she cheated on her husband but so did he (Eddie) why is leanne the only one being blamed for this affair why is she the hated one Shape must just get e gripe they knew wat they where doing when putting her on the cover, & those that think they are better than leanne shud sit down and face reality you are not angels nor saints you are no better stop judging atleat she apologised and acknowledged her faults so much for the other hollywood stars ..get over yourseves those who complained if not then shut up

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments