Big Changes Coming to "Idol"

The new judging panel won't be the only revamped thing about "American Idol" this season -- because there are some other serious changes coming to the hit show.

1118_idol
According to executive producer Nigel Lythgoe (inset), contestants will have tasks like making the best music video, self-promotion and working with a band and dancers for an awards show-type gig.

There will also be no Top 24 this year -- just a Top 12, according to Nigel's interview with TV Guide.

Lythgoe posted a couple more changes on his Twitter earlier this month, saying the contestants will all live together in a house -- like Season One -- and not in hotel rooms.

The kids will also be limited to using instruments -- with Nigel saying they'll still be able to strum a guitar, but "just not every week."

The new season, starring Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, kicks off January 12.

Lesliez:  1492 days ago

I thought I cared, but then I read the article and remembered I don't.

joe2938:  1492 days ago

this sucks I will no longer watch this show as simon was the only reason the show has survied as long as it has

NewEngland2:  1492 days ago

OUR COUNTRY IS TRULY A STAGE OF PERFORMERS!!!!! Simon will fade into the woodwork in time and those who say they will not be watching will soon return. I always liked the show the good and the bad of it and will continue to watch.

stoshvox:  1492 days ago

Three (3) "has beens" as judges, I am so excited for the season to start...NOT..

Hey dog...this show has run it's course...let it go

stoshvox:  1492 days ago

Nigel, please listen to me..,the only show that may be worth watching is an American Idol 2nd Chance Show. Take the top 10 contestants from the past 9 seasons, let them audition again until you get a top 24 from that group. Begin the season with those 24 and let the audience vote be the only judging that takes place. That way you get rid of the three time-consuming and annoying judges, you only need a host who introduces the acts and then gives out the phone numbers to vote.

Kake:  1492 days ago

Making the best music video, self-promotion and working with a band and dancers for an awards show-type gig would be a challenge for someone that is not already out there earning a living in the music business. So pretty much your top 12 need people out there performing for a living. A young kid with pure raw talent won't be on same level & be at a disadvantage. we'll see.

Renee:  1492 days ago

*yawn*

John:  1492 days ago

How stupid is this? You want them to make music video's and promote themselves? These are people just like you and me, just trying to get a break in life. They aren't qualified to do any of these things. It's about singing. How dumb has American Idol become? I can't believe I just read this, complete idiots running the show. IT'S ABOUT SINGING. Steven Tyler will just be terrible also.

SHERRY BURGESS:  1490 days ago