Susan Lucci Reacts to 'All My Children' Cancellation

0414_lucci_singleSusan Lucci's reign as the queen of daytime soaps will end in September.

ABC annouced Thursday that it is canceling "All My Children."

Lucci has played socialite/businesswoman Erica Kane since the show's inception in 1970. After 18 failed Emmy nominations, Susan Lucci finally won one for the role in 1999.

"It's been a fantastic journey," said Lucci of her 41 years on the show. "I've loved playing Erica Kane and working with [show creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with 'All My Children.' I'm looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities."

Kane is "unequivocally the most famous soap opera character in the history of daytime TV," according to TV Guide. Her romances, which included 10+ marriages, were a subject of viewer fascination, though her character also faced issues such as abortion, drug abuse and being the parent of a gay child.

Other stars who got their big break on the soap opera include Kelly Ripa, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Josh Duhamel, and "CSI: Miami's" Eva LaRue.

"All My Children" isnt the only ABC soap that got the axe. "One Life to Live" was also cut, with its final episodes slated to air in January 2012. That means "General Hospital" will be the only remaining soap on the network.

Replacing "All My Children" will be a food-oriented talk show called "The Chew," with Mario Batali and Michael Symon of "Iron Chef" fame. They'll be joined by "Top Chef" favorite Carla Hall, "What Not the Wear's" Clinton Kelly, and nutrition expert Daphne Oz (daughter of Dr. Oz).

"The Revolution" will replace "One life to Live." Also a talk show, "The Revolution" will focus on transforming women's lives and features Tim Gunn of "Project Runway," celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak, and "American Idol" alum Kimberly Locke.

Are you saddened that these soap operas are canceled? Sound off in the comments below!

Lisa:  1233 days ago

This is a DISGRACE!!! I hope ABC goes DOWN for this....maybe one of the other networks will wake up & pick BOTH soaps up & make MILLIONS for doing so!!!!!! I want to wish all those GREAT actors & actresses best of luck! I will miss you all!!!!

Linda:  1233 days ago

I rather watch Soaps than the stupid idiotic reality shows on these days.

BOO to ABC....

Michelle Smith:  1233 days ago

This sucks!!! I have been watching AMC for 30 years and OLTL for 10. I tell you one thing, I am not going to watch the new shows. Please do not cancel the soaps!! PLEASE!!!

Darlene:  1233 days ago

Well what next? Nothing worth watching will be left on ABC. Who cares about yet another food show?
Hopefully someone will pick up the two shows. Can we say goodbye ABC? Yes I think we can.

Carol C:  1233 days ago

How could they????? These shows are great, many people watch faithfully or tape daily. I for one am very disappointed!!!

Antonia :  1233 days ago

THIS IS STUPID!!!!!! THESE ARE SOME AWESOME SHOWS!!!! I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE BEING CANCELED!!!! THIS KILLS ME TO KNOW!!!

Elena:  1233 days ago

Are you friggin serious???? I would NEVER watch that stupid show "The Chew"...How can you do this to the fans that have watched All Mt Children for 30 plus years!!!!??? Everything is a reality show...we want our soaps!!!! PLEASE DON'T CANCEL ALL MY CHILDREN!!!!

Renee Bonner:  1233 days ago

I am saddened by these cancellations. I have been watching both shows since the beginning. However, I am not surprised because some of the shows' best and seasoned actors are no longer on the show or have limited airtime, and the storylines lately have been rather ridiculous. Who wants to see Erica torn between 2 men again and again.... Also, there are too many teen actors and teen scenes on OLTL.

Sandy:  1233 days ago

I can not believe that ABC is doing this ... I have watch both of these shows for as long as I can remember, I don't think I'll have the stomach to watch reality show in the middle of my day knowing all those GREAT actors are out of work, because the other shows are "cheaper?" to have on than our wonderful soaps ... I hope they bubble right over to another network, believe me, I'll be watching them or somethig else, other than ABC between the hours of 1-3 ...

Billie Marie:  1233 days ago

I have religiously watched All My Children since 1975 when I injured my leg skiing and had to lie on the couch with nothing to do all day. I got hooked because I always had to tune in to "see what Happened".

I subscribed tp Soap Magazine to catch up when I had to work & couldn't watch.

Shame on ABC! I won't be watching the new shows -

I will change networks!

buddahpest:  1233 days ago

BOOOOOO....this is BS! My mom got me into these two soaps by appointing me her own personal DVR in the summers when I was home all day. She'd make me recap the day's events when she got home...lol, I've been watching ever since (20+ yrs now)...I hope ABC execs WAKE THE F**K UP and realize that the loyal following these soaps have = QUICK demise for any replacement (stupid) cooking or (lame) talk shows. Keep the cooking shows on Food Network and the talk shows in their rightful place....late mornings or anytime AFTER MY SOAPS!!!!!

Laurie:  1233 days ago

Really??? How many serious shows do we have to have on daytime tv? Some people like to lose themselves in a soap...it makes housework a lot less boring!!!

Kayla:  1233 days ago

Who cares about another food show...that's what Food Network and the Cooking Channel are for...those people have enough shows of their own on the other networks. And ABC is going to lose a ton of viewers over this...people have been loyally watching these shows for years!

Teri:  1233 days ago

I seriously do not care about MORE health/lifestyle shows! I have been a fan of both of these shows since I was a teen in the 60's! I will definitely NOT be watching these 2 new shows...ABC is shooting itself in the foot with this dumb move! So sad when they think they have to update everything...we love our soaps just the way they are!

Diann:  1233 days ago

Probably not a good move at all to take such iconic shows off of the air.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments