'Glee' Creator Plans To Replace Cast After Next Season

"Glee" will undergo some major casting changes at the end of next season.

Series creator Ryan Murphy confirmed to Ryan Seacrest on Monday that the current crop of actors, who portray juniors at the fictional McKinley High School, will depart the series when their characters graduate at the end of Season 3.

0620_glee_single

"The thing that I wanted to do and the cast wanted to do, we didn't want to have a show where they were in high school for 8 years. We really wanted it to be true to that experience. We thought it would be really cool if we were true to the timeline," Murphy explained.

This likely means next season will be the last for stars Lea Michele, Corey Monteith, Golden Globe winner Chris Colfer and many other fan favorites.

Two mainstays of the cast will continue past next season, Murphy revealed. "We've got Matt Morrison [Will Schuester] and Jane Lynch [Sue Sylvester] who will stay and be the male and female lynchpins of the series, but I think the fun thing about the show is it's a celebration of youth and talent and I think that just like with the original cast, I think finding those young unknown people and giving them an opportunity to break into the business and become stars is a really fun and exciting thing and is the spirit of the series."

Murphy said several new characters will be introduced this fall, ones he hope will carry the series once the original cast leaves. They'll also be joined by the winner of "The Glee Project" -- a companion reality competition series currently airing on Oxygen -- for a seven-episode arc. Murphy hopes Gleeks will embrace the new characters, much as they have Chord Overstreet (Sam) and Darren Criss (Blaine) this season.

Season 2 ended with the New Directions finishing a disappointing 12th at Nationals. Will they claim the title in Season 3? Season 3 begins shooting in mid-August and returns mid-September on FOX.

Will you watch "Glee" after the main cast departs? Sound off in the comments below!

Washington D.C.:  1220 days ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It will never be the same. I'll still watch the show, but I'll be thinking "What would Rachel do?" or "What happened between Kurt and Blaine, Rachel and Finn, Puch and Zizes, Brittany and Santana?" "Did Sue and Will ever truly become friends?" So many questions!

6:  1220 days ago

simsim:  1220 days ago

Please don't do this to us!!!!! =(

DoodleSpoon:  1220 days ago

I think it's a good idea - I was wondering what they were going to do after the characters' senior year. I was hoping they wouldn't decide to end the show completely, and I totally agree that following the timeline is the best choice. I can only suspend disbelief so far when the cast is already obviously above high-school age.

At least they're keeping Will and Sue!!

Michael Levy:  1220 days ago

Who f#$@%ing cares!!!!!

GAIL SNAIL:  1220 days ago

It makes sense to change the cast as no one stays in High School more than 4 years. At least, most people don't.

I hope they can find a cast like the original so the show can continue.

JC:  1220 days ago

There's a reason they didn't make High School Musical The Next Class.

Mandi:  1220 days ago

This makes sense. However, they made a HUGE mistake by having all the key characters be the same year in school. Some of them couldn't be freshmen? That way, instead of everyone you know and love leaving in one big lump, it would be spaced out a little. They weren't thinking ahead at all it seems.

J.:  1220 days ago

OH my GOSH!!! LOOK ! A shark... I bet I can jump it!!!

-Ryan Murphy

DieGleeDie:  1220 days ago

And "Saved by the Bell: The Next Generation" was such a screaming success.

not sure........:  1220 days ago

Mandi you are really correct. If they knew they would be doing that you think they would make a couple like Tina or Artie who don't have huge roles juniors so then they would gradate this year or Rachel and everyone freshman. I thought they were seniors last season because Quinn got pregnant. And they shouldnt add so many characters that dont even have big roles. I felt it's a little overkill with like 11 main characters and only 5 have big story arches.

Erin Thompson:  1220 days ago

Ryan Murphy
Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season Please do not Replace the Glee Cast After Next Season
all of the viewers who are still watching Glee will be very upset if the Glee cast would be replaced I would like to see Rachel and Finn together Kurt and Blaine together and more drama

Matt:  1220 days ago

I would say this is their way of rectifying their fall in ratings by having a third of the cast become gay/lesbian, and making that the main focus of the show instead of continuing the way season one went. It's a reboot.

L:  1220 days ago

I hope they have Rebecca Black in it.

Heather:  1220 days ago

I don'*****ch this show but I LOVE that they're doing this. It's so exciting to see a successful show take a risk like this in the name of realism!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments