'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Will Go On

0414_lucci_singleWhen ABC said it was pulling the plug on "All My Children" and "One Life To Live," soap opera fans were outraged. Fortunately, the storylines and characters fans grew to love will continue -- online.

ABC announced Thursday that production company Prospect Park will produce new episodes of both soap operas for the web.

"We are privileged to continue the legacy of two of the greatest programs to air on daytime television, and are committed to delivering the storylines, characters and quality that audiences have come to love for over 40 years," said Prospect Park's Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz.

"'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are television icons, and we are looking forward to providing anytime, anywhere viewing to their loyal community of millions. Technology changes the way the public can and will view television shows. Now that there are so many devices available in addition to television sets, viewers are taking advantage of watching shows where ever they are and on any number of devices. The driving force in making the switch and attracting new audiences is to have outstanding programs that people want to watch. We believe that by continuing to produce the shows in their current hour format and with the same quality, viewers will follow the show to our new, online network."

ABC Daytime President Brian Frons added, "'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are iconic pieces of television history that captivated millions of fans since their beginning over 40 years ago. Each of the shows have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history and informed our consciousness in their own way. We are so glad Prospect Park has assumed the mantel for these shows and that they will continue for the fans."

It was Frons who originally announced the cancellation of the venerable shows. In April, Frons told the Associated Press that "viewers are looking for different types of programming these days." He replaced "All My Children" with "The Chew," a food show, and "One Live to Live" with "The Revolution," a makeover show.

The creator of both soaps, Agnes Nixon, was elated her shows found a new home. "I'm excited for their future with Prospect Park. It takes a lot of living to make a soap opera a serial, and the wonderful teams on both shows have done just that. Together, we are a big family that keeps going, and I'm looking forward to working alongside these wonderful people as we ensure that the shows will continue with all the love and excitement we’ve always had. I also am so happy for our loyal fans, whom we love so much, and who have been so supportive over the last 40 plus years."

It's unclear which cast members will continue on the shows when they go online. "All My Children" matriarch Susan Lucci has expressed interest in joining the cast of "Desperate Housewives." Also yet to be announced, whether the online shows will start immediately after the soaps go off the air.

"All My Children" ends September 23, 2011, while "One Life to Live" wraps next January. Will you watch the soaps when they go online? Sound off in the comments below!

kelly hynes:  1122 days ago

A lot of people don't have computers to watch All My Children and One Life To Live.

mamajj:  1122 days ago

I am thrilled. But I am concerned about how many of our current actors will go to the internet show. And TIIC need to stop killing off characters so the internet shows have something to work with.

Kathy:  1122 days ago

Wow, that is fabulous news! I can't wait to find out more about it. Thanks for the info.

arlene:  1122 days ago

I work will i be able to see them anytime i have been taping them for over 5 yrs and when i am home i watch to get the rating up. I would love to see my soaps stars live on and keep working.

karon:  1122 days ago

This is the best news! I am so happy. Thanks ABC for doing the right thing.

I grew up with both shows and was devestated to hear that ABC cancelled them.

Jerry:  1122 days ago

That is good new's , I felt the both shows should have gone to soapnet instead which has toe means to keep the entire. Nevertheless I'm happy to hear the show I have grown up is still here

wendy:  1122 days ago

that so silley how meney people have online

peg:  1122 days ago

First - most people I know will no*****ch yet another food or makeover show. They are not even being creative with the shows they are replacing AMC with. They will be proved wrong. And yes, I will most defintely watch the soaps on my ipad.

Really Elated:  1122 days ago

I am so happy. I was devastated when my two favorite soaps were cancelled. If this doesn't work out then perhaps Oprah's OWN network is a good place for them to land. She has the same audience that soaps has so the transition would be natural.

JO YOUNG:  1122 days ago

Keep my shows rolling. I have been watching both shows since 1980. Long live both my favourite shows.

Julie Hager:  1122 days ago

I'm a huge fan of ALC and will be watching! Glad to hear the show will go on.

Susan:  1122 days ago

You better believe I will be watching!

Becky:  1122 days ago

YES YES YES thank u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danene:  1122 days ago

I will most definitely be watching them. I have been sick over them being cancelled. They have been a part of my life since I was a baby. I couldn't be more thrilled and I know all my friends feel the same and will definitely watch online too. I'm wondering if they will continue to rerun them on Soap Network?

lisa:  1122 days ago

Just put these shows on operas channel she has. Save the Soaps.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments