Jennifer Lopez: Marc Anthony Was Not the 'Right Thing' for Me

Jennifer Lopez is opening up about the end of her marriage -- talking about her split from Marc Anthony for the first time in the September issue of Vanity Fair.

0802_lopez
“That was my biggest dream, and I really worked hard at it. We both did,” Lopez says in her first interview since the split. “Sometimes it doesn’t work—and that’s sad. But I remain an eternal optimist about love. I believe in love.”

J.Lo continues, “It’s still my biggest dream. I am positive -- determined to move forward with my life, bring up my babies, and do the best job I can as a mother, entertainer, and person. I now look forward to new challenges. I feel strong.”

Of her relationship with Marc, she says "Sometimes we don’t realize that we are compromising ourselves. To understand that a person is not good for you, or that that person is not treating you in the right way, or that he is not doing the right thing for himself—if I stay, then I am not doing the right thing for me. I love myself enough to walk away from that now.”

She still has only good things to say of her ex though, telling the mag "I will always respect Marc as a singer and performer. We actually work great together, and he was always very supportive. Together we could make magic—and we did. He will always be in our lives. He will always hold a special place in my heart as the father of my children.”

Check out more from the gorgeous photo shoot with Mario Testino below.

Lala:  1187 days ago

That better be fake fur! Grrrr!

DaChopssss:  1187 days ago

I'm sorry but there's something wrong with a woman who feels the need to be married in every relationship and so quickly in each relationship. I don't know if it's because she believes it will help hold them together or what, but this is her third divorce and maybe she needs some serious therapy to get to the root of her issues. I also find it funny that when her career was stalled, she couldn't be happier being married and having children and that was her #1 priority but now that she's revamped her image and career, Marc isn't right for her. They say allowing gays to marry would destroy the sanctity of marriage but I think it's the straight people who are doing that already.

toska:  1187 days ago

better be fake fur?? better be a person who minds their own darn business and stop worrying about other people so much! muahahaa

Mary:  1187 days ago

"I love myself too much". Um we already knew that.

dizzle:  1187 days ago

i think it's BS that marc is getting blamed for everything. i dont think he was absuive or controlling. i agree with DaChopssss! jlo is a nutjob

AKP:  1187 days ago

In our society people find it odd when a woman marries more than once, but it's okay for a man to do it. What's important here is that she got out of a situation that wasn't good for her. They were married 7 years which is more than most people last these days especially in the entertainment industry. She has her own money and can be independent w/out having to rely on Marc or another man for that matter. Marc has a reputation for being OCD and very controlling. Good for her!

bricks:  1187 days ago

After 3 failed marriages it's to problem appears to be JLo! The Fur needs to go, fake or real it sends the wrong impression.

Kenya:  1187 days ago

Now I am the first to admit that I read these celebrity websites. But it really urks me when they have press releases asking for privacy and then do an interview. Hello "privacy" means that you don't talk about it to the general public. What we as a society accept as "news" gets depressing everyday.

KAren:  1187 days ago

Anyone with an ounce of decency would not talk at all about their divorce with a tabloid! Obviously she wants to point blame away from herself.

John:  1187 days ago

Her narcissism is nauseating -- literally.

Dennie:  1187 days ago

I'm sorry, but he ditched his wife, Dayanara (most likely after cheating on her), to go live out a fantasy with his ex-girlfriend, Jennifer Lopez. Did anyone really think this was going to last? It's a miracle it lasted this long.

Queendust:  1187 days ago

Good God...who cares? She's beautifu. He's a scrawny, greasy little weasel of a man with a beautiful voice. However, when the lights come on or the sun shines in...your eyes are what's working, not your ears. Go Jennifer. Marry as many times as you want.

LetItBeSaid:  1186 days ago

As almost everyone here, I agree that she loves the spotlight and, while I don't see anything wrong with it, she needs to prioritize. You can tell, by this photo shoot, she was just dying to this kind of stuff. She doesn't want to realize she needs to calm down and be a mom and wife first. She will never ever be more of business woman as he is of a business man. The man can sing and his career started before hers. I don't really think Marc was jealous of her career as she claimed. I do believe, though, that he might've wanted for her to dress moer ladylike not like a teenager she's not.

herb:  1186 days ago

she needs to be kicked back to where comes from; the street

chinadoll:  1186 days ago

look i admire and respect jlo for having the courage and dignity that not all women have to leaave something or someone their not 100% satistfied with shes strong independent and very optimistc and i give her credit as a mom and wife. she mentioned the fact that she cannot be with someone that doent want to help themeselves probly referree to her husband drug use which ims sure we all knew and heard about anyway so dont knock jlo for wanting to be happy im sure tried everythng she could and it just wasnt enough

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments