With "Step Up Revolution" in theaters this weekend, we here at toofab decided to look back at some of our favorite dance scenes in movies. After much debate (and a fight or two), we've come up with this list of fifteen that we found most timeless.
And since there was no possible way to choose favorites, they're listed below in chronological order.
But first check out the first three minutes of "Step Up Revolution" below! Is it worthy of bumping off one of the routines on this list?
1. "Singin' in the Rain" from "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) -- Classic Gene Kelly at his finest. So timeless that even "Glee" did a mash-up of this song with Rihanna's "Umbrella."
2. "Mambo!" from "West Side Story" (1961) -- There are so many great performances to choose from in this film, but it was during this performance that Tony and Maria met ... and we all fell in love.
3. "More Than a Woman" from "Saturday Night Fever" (1977) -- That white suit. Those smooth moves. This is the film that catapulted John Travolta into international superstardom.
4. "You're the One That I Want" from "Grease" (1978) -- This is the movie that taught us how one little makeover can help you score the hottest guy in school.
5. "She's a Maniac" from "Flashdance" (1983) -- Who can forget that frantic dancing and, of course, the infamous water drop!
6. "Old Time Rock and Roll" from "Risky Business" (1983) -- Don't pretend like you all didn't dance around in your underwear after watching this film.
7. "Time of My Life" from "Dirty Dancing" (1987) -- Arguably the most famous dance scene of them all. Thank you, Patrick Swayze.
Dirty Dancing - Time of my Life (Final Dance) by BasitRoy
8. "Por Una Cabeza" from "Scent of a Woman" (1992) -- Best tango by a blind man in a movie, ever.
9. "You Never Can Tell" from "Pulp Fiction" (1994) -- This is the third John Travolta movie on this list, but how could we pass it up? Vincent Vega and Mia Wallace work a diner dance floor like no one else.
10. The final show scene from "Center Stage" (2000) -- We had to include some ballet in this list, and this final dance scene is pretty epic. If you have yet to see this movie, do it! This is one that dance lovers adore.
11. "Because We Can" from "Moulin Rouge" (2001) -- The dancing, the choreography, the costumes, the makeup. Everything about this scene is gorgeous.
12. "All That Jazz" from "Chicago" (2002) -- Acting, singing and dancing? Catherine Zeta-Jones proves that she can do it all ... even while pregnant when shooting this film!
13. The final dance scene from "Step Up" (2006) -- Without a doubt, the "Step Up" films are the most successful hip-hop movie franchise. Check out "Step Up 4" next summer!
14. "We're All In This Together" from "High School Musical" (2006) -- This is the movie that brought the younger generation into the world of singing and dance. Oh, and (eventually) gave us Zac Efron's abs.
15. "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire" (2008) -- Truthfully, how many of you knew what Bollywood was before this movie?
So what do you think? Do you agree with our choices, what do you think we may have overlooked? Sound off in the comments below!
© 2013 EHM Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.