News

Zachary Quinto Comes Out as a Gay Man

1016_quinto_launch

Zachary Quinto publicly came out today -- and did it without the fanfare of posing on the cover of People Magazine.

Instead of a huge article about his sexuality, the "Star Trek" star chose to nonchalantly confirm he's gay in a New York Magazine piece centered around his role in a movie about the financial crisis and his 8-month stint on Broadway in "Angels in America."

It's the latter that really got Quinto to open up, saying the role of Louis Ironson was the "most challenging thing I've ever done as an actor, and the most rewarding."

"At the same time," he continues, "as a gay man, it made me feel like there's still so much work to be done, and there's still so many things that need to be looked at and addressed."

He addresses his sexuality again later in the article, saying "You have the legalization of gay marriage in the state of New York and three months later you have Jamey Rodemeyer killing himself, yet another gay teenager bullied into taking his own life. And, you know, again, as a gay man, I look at that and say there’s a hopelessness that surrounds it."

"Where's this disparity coming from, and why can't we as a culture and society dig deeper to examine that?" he adds. "We're terrified of facing ourselves."

UPDATE: Quinto has revealed his reasons for coming out in a new post on his blog. Read it, in his own words, below:

"when i found out that jamey rodemeyer killed himself - i felt deeply troubled.  but when i found out that jamey rodemeyer had made an it gets better video only months before taking his own life - i felt indescribable despair.  i also made an it gets better video last year - in the wake of the senseless and tragic gay teen suicides that were sweeping the nation at the time.  but in light of jamey's death - it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it - is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality.  our society needs to recognize the unstoppable momentum toward unequivocal civil equality for every gay lesbian bisexual and transgendered citizen of this country.  gay kids need to stop killing themselves because they are made to feel worthless by cruel and relentless bullying.  parents need to teach their children principles of respect and acceptance.  we are witnessing an enormous shift of collective consciousness throughout the world.  we are at the precipice of great transformation within our culture and government.  i believe in the power of intention to change the landscape of our society - and it is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action.  jamey rodemeyer's life changed mine.  and while his death only makes me wish that i had done this sooner - i am eternally grateful to him for being the catalyst for change within me.  now i can only hope to serve as the same catalyst for even one other person in this world.  that - i believe - is all that we can ask of ourselves and of each other."

jim :  1074 days ago

Once again another actor providing info , we Don't need to know !!!!!!!!!!!! It may put his Spock job on hold ? Keep your private life to your self. We Don't need to know ,and you should not want to give out private info . You never know what doors it might close.

2 Replies

jim :  1074 days ago

star trek fans ( the one that have been for decade not the new ones. don't think this new morality is cool . there is more of them 10-1 and remember the man who created this planet and you find this to be a abomination. God has not changed , but people have and the wonder why thing in this world are so bad now . We decided to do are own thing. and now look what we have . life is not over ,we still have a chance to live right . remember ,we are not the ones in control he is weather you believe are not .

5 Replies

meena:  1074 days ago

Jim, it's too bad God never taught you how to spellcheck or use proper grammar to get your point across. We may not all believe in the same religion and have the freedom to decide our own values but here in the US, we do receive the same education in elementary school.

Ray:  1074 days ago

As a straight person, Star Trek fan, a veteran who served along side many gay and lesbian solider during the Persian Gulf War and as a proud American, I hope I don't live anywhere near you Jim.

BTW, the Bible also says not to eat shellfish and other things I am sure you do. So unless you follow the Bible to the LETTER, I'd stop being a hypocrite.

Zachary Quinto: you are made of awesome for doing this. I hope your coming out shows people It Gets Better.

TheMarshmallowMan:  1074 days ago

he is a cutie, and for people that are bringing up a bible that was written by man, keep your thoughts and you opinions to yourself. No one cares.

marie:  1074 days ago

Jim- I agree with you and so do many other people. Don't worry about these people who are mad at you for having a different opinion than them. They are just angry because they want to be able to do what ever they want and not feel bad or guilty for their actions.

And Ray, the bible doesn't say that it is an abomination to eat shellfish. There were many "rules" in the bible that were meant to protect people or they were rituals and traditions. But, it does say there were no good men in the city of sodom and gomorrah. And, just because the christian religion believes the Word of the Bible, and therefore, believes that homosexuality is a perversion of the marital gift from God (sex), that does not mean that christians are judging gay people as being condemned to hell. I have the intelligence to say an action is evil and bad without saying a person is evil and bad. We all sin, but the thing that makes us good is when we recognize sin and try and not commit them. By saying there is no such thing as sin, you are saying that you are your own God.
]
And, TheMarshallowMan- I DO care about Jim's opinion, just as I care about all opinions. It is how man learns from each other. I do not, however, care for people who are intolerant of other's opinion. You sound uneducated, childish and barbaric, which is just how the civilizations were before Christianity spread..so, your comment reflects exactly that.

Thumbs up Jim for stating your opinion when you knew all these people who persecute you for it. Very brave indeed!

4 Replies

Grumpinmcpunkkin:  1074 days ago

I have no problem with anyone being gay, no matter who they are. It is not my place to judge them and they don't have to answer to me.
When someone comes "out" is it really effecting "you" or ... are people just mad that someone is doing something they dare not do and it kills them they have no control over the situation?
Just because it makes you/them sick and mad, it gives you/them no reason to condem them, thats gods place. If people focused on real problems in the world and paid less attention to people coming out then maybe they could help fix the crap going on that is important... And leave the petty nit picking stuff alone and people can continue to live their lives as "they" see fit, not as "you" see fit.

marie:  1074 days ago

grumpin- you must not have read my comment. and, yes, it does affect (not effect) me and everyone who lives in our society. It breaks down the family structure of our society, which in turn, weakens our country and leaves us vulnerable to complete destruction eventually. Why don't you try reading some history books.

Grumpinmcpunkkin:  1074 days ago

Marie, I said my opinion and that's all it is, my opinion. Just
Iike what you say is your opinion. We both don't have to agree, just respect what each other has to say. So with that, I said my piece and you said yours.

Good Day

marie:  1074 days ago

Grumpin- i was responding to your comment, which is what i thought commenting was all about. You made a statement and I responded.

A:  1074 days ago

Marie, you are full of ****! If you truly believe gay people are breaking down the "family structure" of our society, then maybe you ought to be condemning the parents who give birth to these gay people. How's that for breaking down the family structure. You are just trying to control society and fit it into your backassward thinking type of society, which doesn't exist. Society is ever evolving, and you need to learn to adapt to this, or go live on another planet. Gay people are not breaking down the moral fabric and family structure of society. You are just spewing propaganda speech, to try and weakly justify your ignorance and intolerant views on life. Stop feeding off of Fox News, and get out there and start living your life, and how about interacting and becoming friends with these gay people you speak so poorly of. They are great people, and who knows, might soften your harsh views on the world.

marie:  1074 days ago

A.- I have several gay friends. And, they all respect my religious beliefs. You sound very angry and hateful. i hope you chill out a little bit. And, as far as society evolving, that is exactly right. There used to be all sorts of sexual practices a very long time ago. Pedafiles, incest, homosexuality, polygamy, etc. Which is exactly why the bible addressed the issue and said that we should evolve into better human beings by not partaking in such acts. Great point. Thanks for making it for me :)

marie:  1074 days ago

Kelly- thank you for making my point as well. exactly, you do whatever you want without any concern for anything or anyone else. it's called being selfish. And, as for never feeling guilty, that's called not having a moral compass or conscience. Thanks for stating exactly my opinion!

suckit:  1074 days ago

You cannot reason with the backwoods rearing that people such as Marie received. She has been brainwashed to actually believe that there is a caste system in America and she is above certain groups of people. I don´t attempt to explain truth to people like this. My philosophy involves a similar treatment the LGBT community receives. Give me five minutes with her in a bathroom and razor, please! How dare you establish friendships with people and condemn them! You are a terrible excuse for a human being! You lack any compassion which is the platform for your "religion". If I knew you I would not hesitate in beating some sense into you.

V:  1074 days ago

You say that gay people are breaking down the family structure, and that being gay defies the sanctity of marriage.....BUT you do know there is a 50% divorce rate in the straight society right? and people who have been married 2, 3 or even more times, how does THAT keep the institution of marriage in tact?? I know gay couples who have been together longer than any of my friends(a few of whom are divorced) and love each other with such passion that I have rarley seen in straight people. As for them breaking down the "family structure" Again I know gay people(who have rasied perfectly straight children btw) are raisng perfectly happy, healthy productive members of society, as oppsed to the so many straight "families" out there full of drug addicts, alcoholics, abuse and abandon. You say that this man comming out does affect you directly, but I fail to see how? If you don't like it don't read it, no one forced your eyes to read it did they?? As far as I can see you would rather have a bullied teenager take his own life rather than live freely as a gay person.....I also find it ammusing that everytime someone starts a debate on this issue it's always because the Bible told you this is wrong.....you know what most every war has been started by? RELIGION wars are fought with Bibles and tears, no one ever wins, the people fighting the wars are fighting for freedom..freedom of thought and speach, so let everyone live whatever life they choose, Let he without sin cast the first stone and so on and so forth, I personally think it's great what he's done, who knows how many lives he just saved.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments