News

"Dancing With the Stars" -- Maksim Goes Off on Judges

There was a lot of drama on Monday's episode of "Dancing With the Stars." The theme was Broadway, and the theatrics came from an unexpected source -- Maksim Chmerkovskiy.

The sexy Ukrainian pro dancer, who's paired with soccer player Hope Solo, got a tough critique -- in fact -- Len Goodman said their rumba was Hope's worst dance of the season! Ouch! That got Maksim riled up and he lashed out.

1025_maksim_video

"I've been in this business for nearly 50 years," head judge Len boasted.

"Maybe it's time to go," Maksim retorted, causing judge Carrie Ann Inaba to snap back, "Don't be disrespectful."

Maksim continued his tirade after they received a score of 20/30, just one point more than the night's worst scorers, Chaz Bono and Lacey Schwimmer.

"With all due respect, this is my show," Maksim said. I helped make it what it is. I love every aspect of it, I love every professional that's ever been here and I love every celebrity that puts effort into every week. Having said that, I'm a little tired that we're being judged, some on effort and some being picked on."

You can see it all go down by clicking on the video above.

The judges were much kinder to Ricki Lake and her partner Derek Hough, scoring their quickstep a 29/30. They redeemed themselves after last week's poor performance.

They tied with veteran J.R. Martinez and pro Karina Smirnoff, who also did a quickstep. Both couples have pulled away from the pack and have established themselves as frontrunners for the mirror ball trophy.

Do you think Maksim was out of line? Tell toofab in the comments below!

LI_Mom:  1155 days ago

Max totally lost it last night & came off as a total jerk.

Sure he was right to be annoyed that poor dancers are given too high scores (out of pity?) & he's probably wondering why so many GOOD dancers are gone while the weaker ones are hanging on. I'm sure ALL the pros feel the same way but THEY have the grace & the self-control to keep those thoughts to themselves & not come off as sore losers.

He knew when he signed up for this job that this was a competition BUT also a popularity contest. (He sure didn't mind that when HE was popular!) His meltdown last night should clue him in.... this is part of the reason he is NOT attracting fans like some of the others do.... his overly inflated ego is a huge turn off for many people.

He might be a fantastic dancer AND great to look at but that's just not enough in a tv show like this.

IMO, he is ready to throw in the towel on this year & he just doesn't have the desire to be dancing with Hope OR to battle against dancers he thinks should not be there. Hopefully he'll be gone tonight & we can enjoy the rest of the season without anymore tantrums.

b.mclane:  1155 days ago

I could not disagree more. Max's point was as a judge you DO NOT have to go for the juggler to be a good critic. Len went WAYYYYYYY over the top starting off with "that was the worse dance of the season"...not YOUR worse dance but THE WORSE dance of the ENTIRE season. Definitintion of a critic is to point out flaws so a better job can be done. How can a critic like that be helpful??? And if that was not enough Len went after MAx's ability as a coreographer!! ..That is when Max fought back. Len must of taken MEAN pills instead of his Geritol. Good for Max for being a MAN and putting Len in his place.

1 Reply

Ash:  1155 days ago

I hate drama and I'm not a big fan of his but I LOVE that he stood up for his partner. It's true that some celebs that suck at dancing get props and not called out for totally sucking. Seriously you can take two celebs that are not good and the judges will call one out for it and the other they'll say they were a joy to watch even though they weren't on the right foot and there movements looked a little awkward.

You go Max!!! I think I just became a fan!!!

alex:  1155 days ago

OK, just admit it. This PC stuff with Chaz has run it's course on this DANCE SHOW. Even that pathetic Nancy Grace has improved the tiniest of bits.... and of course, nothing but smiles and "oh you try and make me so happy" crap comments from the judges. Mak said what the rest of us know... there is a political agenda and it's time to either call it the "PC Sortta Dance Show" or get with the programme and judge by the DANCE STEPS!
Team Mak

stella sherman:  1155 days ago

Max needs to stick to teach, Hope needs to either bring her feminine side NOW or go home, I say go home. Judges need to keep doing what they're there for which is JUDGE the competition so Max, you've been there since Jesus was born and still haven't won it maybe you need to move on to something else because if you aint got it you ain't got it.

1 Reply

Susan:  1155 days ago

Max is right. Critique is fine as that is the judges job but the judges are pampering some of the contestants. Either pamper them all or critique them all the same. Len and Max have had their differences before. Even Carrie Ann is pampering some of the contestants. It is past week two. If you are worried about hurting someones feelings or that is in their contract then do not hurt anyone. Last nights attack was personal. Think on it judges.

Sandy:  1155 days ago

I hate to break it to Max but its not his show!!!!!!!! I don't know where in the world he thinks its his show. Didn't he disrespect the judge a couple of years ago and his partner went home the next day!!!!! The fans do not like when the the dancers go after the judges!!! I think he just sealed his partners fate tonight.

annie:  1155 days ago

Hope Solo is not a great dancer, but "the worst dance of the season"? Hardly. Obviously Len's been asleep during countless Nancy Grace or Chaz Bono offerings if he really believes that! Max is doing the very best he can, despite what little he has been given to work with this season. So to be told by Len that "it's 50 percent your responsibility" is both insulting and quite a personal attack. I may not like Max, but I think he gives 100 percent at all times and insists on it from his celebrity partner. There's no question but that Len earned the retaliatory personal attack Carrie Ann found so "disrespectful." I've never voted for anyone on DWTS until last night, but I cast as many as I could for Max...not for Hope, because I do think she's awful, but for Max because he earned my respect and admiration for not just lying still for yet another slugfest by Len.

John:  1155 days ago

The judges are the weakest part of the show. I'm with Max. He's one of the best dancers, along with Derek Hough. They work hard. And it isn't easy finding good "straight" male dancers.

Scary Ann:  1154 days ago

DMC:  1154 days ago

I love the comment by Scary Ann: I wonder how I can contact ABC and tell them their show is unacceptable the way it is right now. My daughter is 13 and as a parent, I am making sure she understands the hurt that bullying causes. Suicide, low self-esteem, drinking, drugging, etc. These are proven results of bullying. What is calling someone a penguin? A penguin? Because he is overweight? OMG, if that isn't bullying, I don't know what is. I used to like watching this show with my kids. I'm done. Now there's nothing to watch with the kids. Anyone out there know of a show that's entertaining and not demeaning to people?
True : you can give constructive criticism without the bulling remarks:I think the show does need to take into fact the bullying remarks by some of the judges. some can go to far I feel