News

Giuliana Rancic to Have Double Mastectomy

Giuliana Rancic
has decided to undergo a double mastectomy -- after a lumpectomy failed to clear her of breast cancer.

The E! News host revealed the news this morning on "Today," telling Ann Curry "For me, it was very important to just get the cancer out."

"That's what I wanted to do. Just get it out. With the double mastectomy I have less than 1 percent chance of getting it (the cancer) back. With the lumpectomy, radiation and medication, I could have seen 20 to 30 to 40 percent chance in my lifetime, and for me it just wasn't worth it."

With husband Bill Rancic by her side, she continued "lt was a very hard decision to come to. But in the end what happened was, Bill said to me, 'I just need you around for the next 50 years, kid. I don't care what you look like, I don't care about the physical portion of this, I just need you around for the next 50 years. So let's just get you healthy.'"

Rancic will have immediate reconstruction surgery following the operation.

Following the announcement, Giulinana took to her Twitter to thank her fans for their support -- tweeting "Yes...Thank u all! : Thank u for the outpouring of prayers."

1205_giuliana_landscape

LuvLeeRita:  1031 days ago

Giuliana, You're beautiful inside and out. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Monica:  1031 days ago

Oh, sweet girl, I know you will be fine, so much good, happy energy - you can only attract what is good. Lots of love!

drizella:  1031 days ago

They are both amazing and both are an inspiration. Good luck to both of them and stay strong!

barbiemacs:  1031 days ago

I had a single mastectomy and wanted a double but dr refused. I also had a very agressive round of chemo and declined any more. I am still waiting reconstructive surgery but will have it eventually. Your life is too important to lose it for physical beauty. Her husband is a wonderful man who truely loves her to reassure her he only wants "her" not her body. I had my sons next to me and my older one said," dont be sad MOM, its no different than having a wart removed!" Bless his little heart. They gave me the courage to face this all head on and fight for my life. I am now almost 3 yrs out and still cancer free. I have to be checked for 10 yrs as mine was a very agressive breast cancer but I remain strong and full of hope. We just had a girl at work who is in her late 20's refuse a mastectomy when she was stage 1-2 because she cared about the physical end of it and now she is terminal and going downhill fast and stage 4. I wish I couldve talked to her but she works in another office and I just found out about it all...how very sad. She will be dead but still have her breasts. Very very sad...

tracker:  1031 days ago

giuliana,edie hill a fox news anchor[ didn't have cancer]she chose to get double mastectomy for the same reason.with a family history,she didn't want to always be checked for it..you will be just fine,you made a smart decision,oh yeh and marrying bill doesn't hurt either.much happiness to you both...

OBS:  1031 days ago

Why is this a news story? It seems to be a constant grab for attention. I'm sorry she has had a brush with cancer, but a woman in the media does not really need to generate stories about these personal choices. If it had come up in an interview, okay, but to make an announcement (probably under the guise of 'helping other women') is vanity.

That said, good luck and stay well.

Lori:  1031 days ago

I think I'd go with the double mastectomy, too. Who wants a lifetime of worrying about it coming back... especially with up to a 40% chance. Best of luck to Giuliana and Bill in the future!