With Halloween right around the corner, we're counting down the days by posting five fun or freaky facts about our favorite fright flicks.
Today's featured film is "The Exorcist."
1. The film is considered cursed. Ellen Burstyn injured her back while being thrown around the set. Actors Jack MacGowran and Vasiliki Maliaros both died before the movie was even released and a fire destroyed most of the set. A film-goer seeing the movie also broke his jaw after fainting. He sued Warner Bros., claiming the flick made him pass out.
2. While everyone knows Regan's vomit is made from pea soup, did you know it's specifically Andersen's brand? The filmmakers reportedly tried using Campbell's but didn't like how it looked. When Regan pukes on Father Karras' face, actor Jason Miller's disgust is real -- he was told the soup would land on his chest.
3. To get the actor's breaths to appear during the exorcism, Regan's bedroom was built in a freezer. It was so cold the cast and crew had to wear winter coats.
4. Linda Blair had to be followed around by bodyguards for six months after the movie landed in theaters, due to death threats from religious extremists. See what she looks like now by clicking the "Launch Gallery" above.
5. Though Linda played Regan, her demonic voice was actually provided by someone else: Radio actress Mercedes McCambridge. Mercedes was initially left out of the film's credits and had to sue Warner Bros. in order to get recognition.
Looking for more horror movie goodness? Check out these other 13 Days of Horror posts below:
Andy from Child's Play -- see him now!
Will Elvira make a "Mistress of the Dark" sequel?
Kyle Richards was "traumatized" by her work on "Halloween"
Danielle Harris reveals she won't do horror nudity anymore
See what the kid from "The Shining" looks like now
And see our full Halloween coverage by clicking here.
© 2014 EHM Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.